Browse Items (52 total)

maryparrish (7).jpg
Maurice Willows operated the Red Cross hospital after the riot at 324 N. Hartford Street.

maryparrish (12).jpg
After the riot and burning, African American citizens of Tulsa were required to carry identification cards. For several weeks, they were also required to wear green identity tags on their clothes identifying them as being safe and vetted for by…

maryparrish (13).jpg
Mount Zion Baptist Church, which had only recently been completed and paid for before the riot. The reasons for its burning are debated, but it was believed to have held a large weapons cache, and that there were people shooting from it during the…

maryparrish (14).jpg
"Mrs Callie Rodgers, who owned one-half block of valuable property. She was forced to leave her home and take an insane daughter to safety, leaving a helpless sick daughter behind. There she was found by the burners. They took her out and placed…

maryparrish (15).jpg
Taken from the south side of Archer, the Williams and Woods buildings are still in ruins, but further north up the street, buildings have begun to be rebuilt.

maryparrish (16).jpg
Taken from the south side of Archer, this photo shows the reconstruction much further along. The Williams Building on the left has been rebuilt on the ruins of the old, while on the right the three-story Byers building has replaced the destroyed…

maryparrish (17).jpg
Taken from the southeast corner of the roof of Booker T. Washington High School, this panorama shows much of the damage within a day or so of the riot and the burning. The road running laterally through the center of the image is Greenwood Avenue,…

A photographic portrait of Mary E. Jones Parrish. Mrs. Parrish ran a typewriting school in the Woods Building. After the "disaster", as she calls it, she began to gather together photos and first hand accounts, and published them in 1922.

maryparrish (1).jpg

maryparrish (8).jpg
Output Formats

atom, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-xml, rss2